|year||Кінець ХІХ ст.|
The creation of the Ukrainian society “People’s house” in 1884 has led to raising the funds for construction of the own building. For this purpose a private one-storied house on the corner of Lomonosova (Petrovychhasse) and Ukraiinska (Josefhasse) streets has been purchased. The building has been finished in the second half of the XIX century and belonged to H. Shmihelska. The society has bought the building in 1887, after this the building has been rebuilt and undergone additional constructions. First in 1897-1899 by the project of architect Klik from Vienna, and in 1899-1900 by the project of architect Gaft the second floor has been added. The hall with a stage has been constructed as a result of rebuilding in 1932. The Ukrainian societies, a printing house, the first Ukrainian newspaper “Bukovyna” were accommodated in the building, the musical and literature nights were held, etc. Also, there was a men’s college (bursa) situated for some time. In 1940 the people’s house was closed, and there was a musical school accommodated. In the postwar period there were the Teacher’s house, the House of amateur artistic activity, the Board of regional union of writers, the Chernivtsi regional center of folk arts. From 1991 the Ukrainian people’s house has resumed its work. Architectural memorial of local significance.