On this place stood a monument to the fallen soldiers of 41 infantry regiment, who liberated Chernivtsi from the Turks. On April 26, 1901 the regiment named after Archduke Eugene celebrated the 200th anniversary of its existence and the consecration of the new regimental banner. To commemorate this event the officer corps decided to place a memorial. This idea gained approval of regional president baron Friedrich Bourguignon von Baumberg and regional captain Johann (Ion) Lupul. The project of the monument was composed by architect and reserve lieutenant Oscar Laske. The mighty obelisk with the emblem in the form of flags and garlands of flowers had the appropriate dedication and years 1701-1901. Bronze emblem, which was cast in Vienna firm of Beshorner, was modeled by sculptor R. Marshal. The top cap was crowned by eagle who tenaciously held a banner with his claws. Inscription on the pedestal was made in national languages – German (on the north side), Ukrainian (on the west side) and Romanian (on the east side): “To fighters-sons of 41st infantry regiment named after Archduke Eugene who died on the field of Glory. Grateful Bukovyna” Erected on December 2, 1902. In Soviet times, on December 14, 1949 the monument was destroyed. Somewhere in the mid-2000s, the enthusiasts have tracked down six major pieces of this monument, in particular a split in half pedestal with inscriptions. The broken plate was installed on the old place.