On the May 16th, 2009 the Rector of Yuriy Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University S.V. Melnychuk signed an agreement on the implementation of 24-month integrated project – “Historical and ethnographic heritage - a component of sustainable tourism development in Bukovina”. It is implemented in the framework of the Joint Operational Programme Romania-Ukraine-Republic of Moldova 2007-2013, funded by the European Union. This project foresees the preservation of historical and cultural heritage of the Chernivtsi region and Suceava county, by forming a register of the objects included in the historical and ethnographic heritage, creating a basis for effective communication between border residents who are united by a common historical heritage, improvement tourist image of border areas through promotion and advertising companies of project activities, additional investments in infrastructure, which will be achieved as a result of the formation and promotion of new tourist routes and increased employment on both sides of the Ukrainian-Romanian border, by the need to service a larger number of international and domestic tourists. The project is implemented in 24 months on the basis of Bukovina information and communication center of historical and ethnographic tourism in Chernivtsi city and its Regional Office in Suceava.
In the framework of this project electronic database is created and is being filled with objects and routes of historical and ethnographic tourism. All efforts are aimed at improving the professional level of the target group and promote historical and ethnographic heritage of Bucovina. These measures include:
• Creating "Bukovina information and communication center of historical and ethnographic tourism in Chernivtsi and its Regional Office in Suceava;
• Preparation of the Historical and Ethnographic Registry of the objects in Chernivtsi region and Suceava county, and also creating of an electronic database and tourist map;
• Working out of international routes (from Chernivtsi to Suceava);
• Development of guidelines and training for the target group of Chernivtsi region and Suceava County;
• Promotion of a common historical and ethnographic heritage of Bucovina.
The total project budget is EUR 1 474 463.00 (equivalent in grivnas - 15 526 095.39), including the budget for the project of Chernivtsi National University - EUR 934 466.00 (equivalent in grivnas – 9 839 926.98 ). 89.99% (EUR 1 326 869.25) of funding is provided by the European Union.