Initially the Greek catholic community of Chernivtsi went to pray to Roman catholic church of Exaltation of the Holy Cross, where it had its own altar. In 1820, the wealthy townsman Tadei Turkul provided his own land plot located east from Market square for the future Uniate temple, and donated large amount of money for construction. A little more than a year after, on June 10, 1821 Chernivtsi Greek Catholics solemnly entered their own new temple. After standing for more than hundred years, the church has been significantly rebuilt in the style of Ukrainian baroque by the project of famous scientist, politician, Chernivtsi citizen Volodymyr Zalozetsky. The renewed temple was consecrated in 1937 in honor of the great church holiday of Assumption of the Most Holy Virgin, which is greatly esteemed in Ukrainian church calendar tradition. Architectural memorial of local significance.