|GPS||(47°43′28″N; 26°13′32″E )|
|category||Traditional settlements for minority communities|
The lippovans, russian ethnics and old calendarists have in the county of Suceava a village which is called today ”Lipoveni” (Mitocu Dragomirnei commune). The locality was initially called Sakalințî, after the place where the first starovers came from and who settled on the lands of Dragomirna Monastery. Historians claim that today’s Bukovina was inhabited by the Russians persecuted by the oppressive regime of tsarist empire and the Patriarch Nikon, even from the last decades of the 17th Century. The first document to attest the presence of starover Russians in the Romanian principalities dates back from 1742 and represents a petition addressed to the prince of Moldavia by the inhabitants Sakalințî claiming that they are established here since 1742. Later, they became owners of the land where they manage to ensure a living and therefore they have established a compact community surrounded by woods, hills and, later, bordered by a reservoir for the construction of which they participated themselves. In the 1779 population censuses 15 families of Lippovan Russians were found in Sakalințî. In January 1992, in the village already called Lipoveni, a number of 500 people were found to live here and after the 2011 censuses final results came in, 308 people were having the residence in Mitocu Dragomirnei, commune which includes also the Village Lipoveni. The Russian ethnics of Lipoveni are traditionally known as good gardeners, having numerous glasshouses, orchards and you can see him in fruit and vegetable markets. They are wine and fruit growers, and skilful house and reed roof builders. In the almost 300 years since they first came here, the Lippovans worked hard to keep their ethnic identity through their language, old calendar orthodox religion and customs from their origin country.