Historical and ethnographic heritage – part of the sustainable
development of tourism in Bukovina
MIS-ETC Code: 829



The Administrative Palace


GPS (47.643131256104; 26.258703231812)
district Suceava
region Suceava
locality Suceava
category Public buildings
year 1904
ethnic Mixed


The Administrative Palace of Suceava was built between the years 1903 and 1904 during the leadership of the mayor Franz Des Loges. The building project was made by the Viennese architect Peter Paul Brang (1852-1925). After the completion of the works, the City Hall of Suceava moved in December 1904 to the Administrative Palace. This building harboured the city police, the savings house and the history museum, and during the inter-war period, „Ciprian Porumbescu" Society. The Administrative Building of the city was used by the fire department, which created a fire observation room in the central tower. The building was initially L-shaped, containing a barn, the fire-station and the carriage-station. As a result of the works performed in the '60 of the XXth century, it has a rectangular shape, with a closed inner yard. The Administrative Palace of Suceava was built in the baroque style, having a basement, ground-floor and two floors. The building is made of brick and covered with shingles. In the middle of the building there is a clock tower, raised much above the mansard-roof. Initially, on the building of the tower (between the second and the third floor) it was carved the old emblem of the city. To the left, there is a watch tower ended with a closed little tower. To the right, stands out a baroque fronton bearing the emblem of Bukovina. The windows are ended in semi-circular arch, the ones in the first floor having above them triangular frontons. The main entrance passes through a semi-circular portal situated at the ground-floor of the clock-tower framed by two semi-cylindrical columns supporting a baroque balcony situated at the first floor. The edifice has 72 rooms, being noted the large hall used for meetings situated at the first floor, which has three recessed windows stretched over the height of the two floors and covered with stained galls. Today, this building is used by the Prefect`s office and the County Council of Suceava